As we are all preparing for a happy holiday, I wanted to share with you a few tips and ideas on how to stay healthy and safe through all of your holiday events and plans!
Hello everyone, and welcome back to the blog! It's Dr. Bob Salamon here with Lowcountry Chiropractic! I hope you all are doing well out there, and hope that you're staying healthy and well. I know it doesn't really feel like winter yet here in Charleston, but during these last few weeks of 2020
make sure to prepare yourself for cold and flu season, for the seasons to drastically change at the drop of a hat, and make plans to keep yourself healthy! Remember that your health is in your hands; why not improve your health journey now as we embark on a new year? Make time for chiropractic care, make time for exercising, getting plenty of sleep, eat well, and drink plenty of water. The holidays can make it easy to forget all about these important things, but give yourself the gift of your best health yet. You deserve it after 2020 and all of its challenges, so go ahead and give yourself this gift! I am here to help you along the way, so please don't hesitate to reach out and give us a call. I am always excited to be a part of your health journey and to help you feel your best.
I do want to take the time to thank everyone who was a part of this year's holiday promotion! From
all of us at Lowcountry Chiropractic, thank you so much for participating and helping us give back to
our community. Thank you for donating all of your nonperishable food items to the Lowcountry Food
Bank, and ensuring that Christmas and the holidays for so many of our neighbors will be happy. You
helped so many families have plenty of food this time of year, and you helped them stay healthy and
safe. That is truly an incredible gift. It was also wonderful to see so many returning patients, meet
new patients, and to experience the holiday season with our holiday promotion with you! Congratulations to all of the winners of our contest, I hope you enjoy your prizes! Thank you again for
joining us in giving back this year. Every little bit always helps!
As a little gift from me to all of you, I wanted to give you a little checklist of things to help keep you
healthy, safe and feeling your best during the holiday season. You might not even realize it, but the
holidays can do more damage to your body than you think possible. It can be the most wonderful
time of the year to spend with your loved ones and celebrate, but it can leave your body tired, sore,
and with new painful, difficult subluxations. Remember too that this holiday season will be different
than the rest. Please make safe decisions when gathering, celebrating, and having holiday parties.
Be safe, be happy, and be merry! Also, make sure to take this checklist to heart. You are giving so
much to others this holiday season, so make sure to take these few extra steps to give back to your
body. Your back will really appreciate not going into 2021 with new subluxations!
● Eat well during the holidays! Don't forget the rainbow this time of year! While all of our favorite salty and sugary treats will be constantly around us, (safe) gatherings with your loved ones will mean all kinds of fun dishes, and the draw of eating out or getting takeout will be plentiful. Try and remember to eat the rainbow and maintain your healthy diet as much as possible. Eat your green leafy veggies, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Remember to keep up with eating all the foods I've talked about in the past that help prevent and eliminate inflammation.
● Make sure to stay active this holiday season, and include the whole family in your activities. Chilly weather can cause muscles and tendons to get cold when you're working out, so please make sure to properly warm-up and cool down, stretch, and drink plenty of water. Make sure to keep up with getting plenty of rest. Take advantage of any time off and get caught up on your rest and relaxation. Remember, even though rest is important, moderation is still key. Make sure you keep up with your chiropractic visits too. If you haven't added chiropractic care into your healthy lifestyle, make sure to do so! Right now is the perfect time to get started with us to kick off a bright and healthy new year.
● Be very cautious when decorating! While we all want to be the Griswold's, heavy lifting and time spent in awkward angles on a ladder can do some serious damage to your back! Make sure to lift your Christmas trees, boxes of decorations, and lights properly. When lifting these items, make sure to lift with your legs and knees and not your back. If you feel a little bentout of shape after you decorate, come see me to make sure everything is properly aligned and that there are no new subluxations that have appeared!
● Even before the 2020 pandemic, I would stress to my patients to continue to wash their hands frequently. Now I encourage it more than ever. I know you've been asked to wash your hands a lot this year, but please keep it up! Don't forget to add vitamin D3 to your healthy regimen too. This important supplement can help strengthen your immune system and help fight off any sickness trying to get into your body!
● Remember to enjoy all of your favorite holiday drinks, dishes, snacks, and goodies in moderation. This includes long movie days, Netflix binges, long afternoons spent reading, and long days shopping out at the malls or on your couch online. Make sure to take a moment to rest, moments to get up and stretch and moments to stay active with each of these activities.
● Give yourself breaks from long drives if you are planning on traveling, and plan ways to avoid eating tons of fast food while out and about.
● Just like you prepare for guests, try and stay ahead with everything in your life during the holidays! Prepare healthy meals to enjoy ahead of time so you aren't tempted to eat out.
● Plan activities with your loved ones that don't center around food. Planning a walk with your guests is a great way to get started with this!
● If you are traveling this year and you have a long drive ahead of you, take a lower lumbar pillow with you to relieve some of the stress and pressure that can build up on your lower back.
● Don't drive straight through to your holiday destination. Make plans to stop and stretch and walk around a little bit every couple of hours.
● While it might be tempting to lounge during these long drives, make sure to maintain the best posture that you can while you're driving.
● If you're a passenger during these long holiday trips, make sure to give yourself a break from scrolling through your phone and reading. Looking down for long periods can put a lot of pressure on your neck, leading to headaches or shoulder aches. Make sure to give yourself some device-free time!
I want your holidays to be as wonderful as you are planning them to be. What will help this become a reality is considering this list and taking control of your health. Let this holiday be the reason for the season, a time to give back to others, a time spent with your loved ones, and the time you take control of your health. Thank you, again for being a part of our holiday promotion everyone! I also want to take a moment and thank all of you for helping all of us at Lowcountry Chiropractic have a great year. Thank you for working with us when our schedules changed, as we navigated through the pandemic together, and for supporting what we love to do and love to offer our patients. This couldn't have been possible without you, and we are forever thankful for your support and love. From all of us at Lowcountry Chiropractic, we hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful holiday and a fantastic new year. Until next time and next year, I'm Dr. Bob and I've got your back covered!
It's always so easy to start the New Year off on the right foot and make an amazing list of resolutions, but how long do you usually stick with them? Dr. Bob is here to give you some of the best resolutions that you can keep not only for the New Year but for the rest of your life!
Hey everybody! Dr. Bob Salamon here at Lowcountry Chiropractic. This blog is going to be all about health resolutions that you can make for the New Year. Quite honestly, these are things that you can do any time of the year. If you do these things, I guarantee you will get healthier and stay that way! Most of these tips and choices have to do with you and having the discipline to achieve this new level of health and wellness. Then there are one or two things that are my responsibility as your chiropractor. Let's get started!
Go green! What do I mean by that? We all need to eat healthier. Delicious, green, leafy vegetables are a great place to start. To be honest, if you use the guide of "eating the colors of the rainbow", that's a wonderful place to start. Eat colorful things like oranges, apples, purple eggplants, and things like that. These are great foods for you! They are great phytonutrients, antioxidants, and they are very alkaline. This is very important because cancer cells hate alkaline environments. If you eat more alkaline foods you are going to defend yourself a lot better against cancer. Green, leafy vegetables and fruits are the way to go, and that's the trend to follow. Most people don't eat this way. Most people eat processed foods, red meats, fried foods, and pasta. I would encourage you to shift your focus into going green.
Refine your life. This is a big one: Refined sugar is in a ton of products found on supermarket shelves. These products are bad for you! Why? These products create inflammation in your body. Inflammation is a haven for opportunistic diseases. Inflammation is also the cause of most pain in the body, especially for arthritic conditions. Along the lines of eating and going green, you need to eliminate refined sugars. Refined sugars can be found in desserts, chips, pasta, bread, and other foods like that. If you shift over to eating green and avoid refined sugars, you'll refine your life!
Don't be a couch potato! We need to exercise and a lot of people don't. They just go about their daily lives without giving time to exercise and activity. Why is exercise so important? There are a couple of key reasons.
Don't worry, be happy! This has to do with our mental attitude. Having a positive mental attitude will go a long way towards you staying healthy because it reduces stress. 99% of the things we worry about in life we don't need to worry about because a) these things won't actually happen or b) if they do happen, they turn out to be not as bad as we thought they were going to be! Find ways to have joy in your life, laugh a lot, smile a lot, help a lot of people, do good work for people, and be happy. You will find that you will be a much healthier person!
Rest and relax. Most of us don't get enough sleep at night. Sleep is so crucial to our health because when we sleep, we go through a rapid eye period of sleep. This is the only time that our body has time to repair and regenerate our protein bridges, muscles, organs, and the covering of our organs, and everything in our body. Our bodies need this break so it can heal. If we're not getting our 7 to 8 hours of sleep at night, slowly bit by bit our bodies get broken down. What happens then? We get sick more often, we get more tired, we lose focus, we lose energy, and lose our health very quickly. I challenge you to try to get that extra half hour to hour of sleep at night. I challenge you to do this for a week and you will see how much better you'll feel at the end of that week. That alone will be a great incentive to keep going.
Get connected. What does this mean? Go see your chiropractor. The chiropractor is the only person who is specifically trained to relieve nerve interference in your body. We are the only ones who are trained to adjust vertebrae that have misaligned and are irritating nerves and causing your health to suffer. All the systems of your body are controlled by the nervous system. This includes the immune, endocrine, respiratory, reproductive, and digestive systems, among others. All of these systems are dependent upon a good nerve supply. This is because the brain sends all the messages down your spine, through the nerves, to all of your body parts. Those nerves then take all those messages back to the brain. If those messages aren't getting communicated to your body, your functions are going to suffer and you will break down. Chiropractic care will ensure that the flow of information is happening over those lines of communication, thus allowing your body to get and stay optimally healthy.
Those are my six top New Years' resolutions and all year round resolutions to help you optimize your health. Go green, refine your life, don't be a couch potato, don't worry, be happy, rest and relax, and get connected. I hope this helps. If you do these things well, I guarantee you're going to be healthier in the future and more healthy than you are right now.
Again this is Dr. Bob and I hope to see you next time and in the new year. From my family and everyone at Lowcountry Chiropractic, happy holidays!
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.